PALAZZO MONSIGNANI SASSATELLIPALAZZO MONSIGNANI SASSATELLI
The ancient lords of the Sforzesca Citadel, the Alidosi, were also the first owners of this noble palace built in the early sixteenth century and later acquired and expanded by the powerful family of Sassatelli. It was completed in its present form after 1522, with an impressive external structure, with a base slope, overlooking Via Emilia.
The main entrance, located in Via Emilia 69, leads to a colonnaded courtyard formed by thin sandstone columns, with capitals bearing the coat of arms of Giovanni Sassatelli, head of the Guelph faction in the city. The service entrance to the stables is instead the one that currently leads to Piazza Duomo.
The palace was not only the seat of the Sassatellis’ court, but also housed the private militias that from here organized violent raids against the opposite faction of Vaini.
It was probably in the halls on the first floor, in March 1501, during a carnival organized by Cesare Borgia, that the knight Guidarello Guidarelli was treacherously murdered, and whose famous tomb can be seen in Ravenna at the Academy of Fine Arts
The building, now privately owned, has on the first floor several classrooms used by the Academy for piano lessons, and the "Mariele Ventre" Hall, an auditorium where concerts, recordings, lectures and examinations are held.